In 1323 the countryside of Villamagna appears in the “Register of Parchments” of the Archiepiscopal Curia of Chieti as a land of vineyards, a crop which was subject to the payment of tithes to the Theatine diocese. The link between Curia and the countryside of Villamagna is also testified by the splendid archiepiscopal palace of the 16th century, which stands at the highest point of the town and still offers a spectacular view as far as the eye can see over the vineyards.
The immediate post-war period was a watershed moment for the cultivation of vineyards. Many historic families in the town begin to produce a distinct wine, an expression of the strength and kindness that characterizes Abruzzo.
At the end of the 1990s, a solid project to promote winemaking in Villamagna took form.
The collaboration between a team of technicians and local wineries led to the identification of limited areas particularly suited for the cultivation of red grapes.
Specifically, studies focusing on the composition of the soil, on the harvests of the previous decades, on the exposure of the vineyards and on the clones of Montepulciano, pinpointed, in a small area in the village of Villamagna and the nearby municipalities of Vacri and Bucchianico, one of the areas best suited to produce great red wines.
Thus, in 2011 the appellation Villamagna DOC was born.
The Villamagna DOC logo is inspired by the town’s coat of arms, which represents two Templar crosses. It also references the medieval history of the town, which reached its maximum splendor in year 1000 AD, and subsequently to the bishop’s seat.
The keys are also an allusion to the layout of Villamagna. They symbolize an invitation to enter the village through its majestic doors: the main entrance arch, and the smaller exit arch.
The arches, in turn, unveil two majestic views, one towards the mountain and the other towards the Adriatic Sea, elemental forces that combine to create the particular microclimate of the terroir.